Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Home, finally!

Well, we made it home safe and sound after spending a wondeful summer with family in Colorado and Wisconsin. I have a lot more to post about from our time in Wisconsin but, I just have to share a few things from the trip home.

I finally broke down and got Abby her own seat on the plane, even though technically, she can sit in my lap for free for about 10 more days! (Plus, the in laws footed the bill so that always helps! Thanks Susan and Peter!). Anyway, we woke up to rain the morning of our flight but the weather was supposed to clear up by the time our plane left at 11:30. Well, the weather forecasters were wrong again, go figure, and our flight was delayed over an hour and half. The good thing was that we had a 2 1/2 hour layover in Chicago so I wasn't too stressed about missing our connection. On the other hand, you try entertaining a two year old in a very small airport for over 3 hours. Well, in my attempts to keep Abby happy and busy we somehow destroyed my flip flop. Of course this happened about 15 minutes before we were supposed to board so we had to frantically run to the gift shop while praying they sold some shoes. I ended up splurging on some new shoes, $10 flip flops, and no you can't borrow them!!!!

After the shoe fiasco, we finally got on the plane and I was confident that we would have time to make our connection in Chi-Chicago (as Abby calls it). I thought, good...now I can relax a little bit. No such luck. After struggling with the car seat and nearly breaking my hand, I finally sat down and took a breath and about 10 minutes later I was praying for my life. I am not exaggerating. The turbulence on this flight was like nothing I have experienced before in my life and I have been on my fair share of airplanes. If you know me, you know I don't do well with bumps! They were so bad a girl in the back of the plane was screaming "Oh, my god". Abby on the other hand thought we were on the ride of our lives. For the duration of the turbulence she was saying "Whee....bumpy ride Mommy, whee!". She was sensitive to my needs however, and held my hand so I wouldn't be so scared!

Obviously we made it to Chicago safe and sound but by this time my nerves were shot. We scurried through the airport because our once leisurely 2+ hour layover had been shortened to about 40 minutes and O'Hare is a big, very busy, very crowded airport. No sooner did we arrive at our gate did we have to board yet another plane. The ride was much smoother but, still eventful. Right about the time they began serving our in flight beverage, Abby decided to pick my brain, literally. Somehow, someway, she managed to shove her little finger, with her VERY sharp fingernails all the way up my nose. My eyes started to water and shortly after the blood followed. After receiving medical attention from the flight attendant in the form of hard, scratchy napkins I was able to stop the bleeding. Needless to say, the rest of the flight Abby was concerned about my boo-boo and kissed my nose repeatedly to "make it all better". She is so sweet sometimes. We finally made it to Pensacola, 8 hours, 3 suitcases, 2 carry-ons, 1 stroller, 1 car seat, 1 tired toddler, less a pair of shoes, and a sore nose later! But, we are here and happy to be home!!!!


Mom Mc said...

What an eventful flight home. You always seem to get the flights from hell! Glad you are both back safe and sound. By the way the flip flops are cute! Give Nolan extra hugs and kisses for us.

Amy Scofield said...

Good grief! I know your glad to be home. Love the flip flops...I want to see them in more pics. Also - Where is Bucky??

Sam and Brian said...

So happy you are home and safe!!!! I personally like the flip flops!

Susan said...


SORRY THE TRIP HOME WAS 'ADVENTEROUS' - but we really appreciate all of the effort!!
Grammy Lo, Sophie, and grandpa pete miss you both very much. SEE you sooon i hope

Kendalls said...

you always have good travel stories about getting home! love the shoes!

Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com