Friday, August 10, 2007

Copan Ruinas

A few weeks back, a group of us headed up near the Guatemalan border to visit the Mayan Ruins at Copan. Copan was the principal Mayan cultural center forabout 400 years. The Mayans settled the area at about the time of Christ. So needless to say, these ruins are really old.



This is one of many stelae at Copan. This stella was carved in AD 730. A stella is a freestanding sculpture carved on all four sides with pictures of past rulers, gods and hieroglyphics.


My Jort'er crew- From Left to Right-Chuck, Matt, Me, Paul aka Fiddler, and Kelly


I love the huge trees growing right out of Temple

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am jealous of all the beautiful stuff you are getting to see, Andrew! And to answer your question, we will be right off PJ Adams, so it'll be about a two or three minute drive to see you guys!

Unknown said...

So...are you really 'deployed' or is this a sneaky vacation?

The Vrabecs said...

Wow, that is beautiful. I wish I could be there for some of this stuff!!

Sam said...

What gorgeous pictures. Glad you are doing good, can't wait until we are all back in one place again.

Susan said...

Are my tax dollars paying for this??? LYMI I hope we can see them sometime too - they are incredible. Miss you. Counting down the minutes til I pick up Abby and Cheyna at the airport.

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com