Wednesday, January 27, 2010

PF Chang's Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon

So, way back in late September I saw on Facebook that our friends Jason and Angela had signed up for a 1/2 marathon in San Diego.  I was intrigued and looked into it a bit further and found out it was the weekend after my 30th birthday.  Since we had just moved to AZ and joined our local gym, I thought this might be a good goal to set for myself.  I talked to Andrew about it and he started doing some research on it as well.  He soon found out there was a 1/2 marathon right here in AZ on my actual birthday, and we decided to do it.  What better way to celebrate turning 30 then with doing something I never thought I would be able to do it a million years?!?!  After some time on the phone Andrew convinced his Dad and his brother Josh to join us and that's when the training began.  We all started running and sending each other updates via email.

Over Halloween weekend Josh was in town visiting and our training schedule called for a 4 mile run.  We all hit the gym together and Josh and myself struggled to get to the 4 mile mark while Andrew blew us out of the water by running 7 miles then heading over to do some pull-ups...Josh and I agreed that he was a show-off!  Anyway, over the next few months we all continued to train but it was hard to stick to the schedule with the holidays and traveling and having kids and whatever other excuse I could come up with.  Also, during this time we talked my mom into coming out and running with us as well.  While we were in Colorado we did a 10K which is 6.2 miles and at the time the furthest I had ever run.  I felt really good after that run, but was a bit worried about doing double that.  Then, as the race got closer and the training intensified I went back and forth about whether or not I was going to be able to do it.  I did an 8 mile run at the gym and felt really good about things after that.  Then, 2 weeks later I did a 10 mile run outside by myself and struggled through the entire thing.  I had been sick for the 2 weeks before that, I was on day 3 of my antibiotics and still feeling pretty awful.  I walked more than I would have liked, but I finished 10+ miles that day.  I was sick as a dog for most of that day after that, I even threw up twice.

 After that I really had my doubts.  But, the antibiotics helped and I tapered down my mileage and then our family started to arrive for the race and there was no turning back.  Not to mention, I had already paid a pretty hefty race fee so I was at least  going to TRY to do the race.  The couple days before the race I was very moody and now that I look back, I think that was my nerves.  I wouldn't admit that I was nervous, but I was.  I had something to prove, not to everyone else, but to myself.

Race day arrived and the weather was supposed to be perfect for running.  We left before the sun came up to find a parking spot, take a shuttle over to the starting line, and get in line for the port-a-potties before the race began.  Before I knew it, it was time to head to the starting line.  The camaraderie was amazing, everyone was talking before the race and getting psyched.

The race itself was a lot of fun.  There were live bands through out the course as well cheerleaders and people with signs cheering us on.  I don't think I would have been able to do the whole thing without all the support from those around me, including my family that ran with me and especially my husband who was understanding, supportive, and encouraging during all the training and the race!  When all was said and done, it was an amazing experience and I am very proud of myself and my family for accomplishing this!  It will definitely be a birthday I will remember for the rest of my life.  I think it has lit a fire under me and I am already researching my next race and maybe, just maybe with a lot of hard work and determination I will do a full marathon someday....we'll see!

The team the night before the race and we are all sporting our official PF Changs Rock-N-Roll 1/2 Marathon shirts.
Nancy, Andrew, Cheyna, Josh and Peter

Me and my wonderfully supportive husband....and yes, he wore that outfit (wig and all) the ENTIRE 13.1 miles!!!

 Peter, my Mom, Andrew and myself before the race

Me and my mom.  My mom has been running for YEARS and I think she was surprised that I took this on because I have never been a runner. I was so glad she came out to run with me, it was wonderful having her share this experience with me!

Josh and Andrew

In line...waiting to start running

Josh and Peter....waiting!

The sea of runners in front of us....there were about 40,000 runners total

Senator John McCain was there to cheer us on!

My mom and I running

My mom and I after the race!  We did it!!!!!

Like I said, he wore that outfit the entire race.  It got a lot of attention!!!  Thank you Andrew for sacrificing your time and running with us slow runners.  I know you could have run MUCH faster but it was nice having you here with me and I don't know if I could have done it without you and your awesome outfit!

Resting in the grass a little bit after the race and listening to finishing line band....Everclear

These were the running socks I got from Andrew for my birthday.

Me with my girls and my new sticker for the van!

Yay!  I earned that sticker!!!


Jennifer B. said...

Congrats! That is so amazing! I can't even run a mile, let alone a half marathon! I loved Andrew's outfit. That probably motivated a lot of runners with a good laugh ;).

Sam said...

That is so so so awesome and I'm so impressed and happy for you! Way to go, congrats Cheyna!!!

The Bouy's said...

Great Job Chey!! You look fantastic!! you have given me the motivation i needed!!


That is Awesome Cheyna you should be proud of yourself!!

Kendalls said...

way to go chey! so proud of you! and you look fabulous!!!! i may try something like that....and i'm totally NOT a runner!

Josh and Laura said...

Great pictures and post cheyna! I had so much fun too. Thanks and great job again!

Blogger Templates by