Saturday, April 28, 2007

What a big girl!

What an exciting day!! Abigail went pee-pee on her big girl potty for the first time today!! I am so proud of her, and she is pretty happy with herself. I was unable to get any pictures of her "in action" because Andrew had the camera, plus I was too excited to be thinking about taking pictures anyhow. This is how it happened:

Abby and I came home from Brain and Sam's house and I made a beeline to the bathroom. Abigail has been interested in the whole concept for a while now and she followed me into the bathroom as usual. This time, she saw her Elmo potty in the corner and said "potty". I thought, what the heck....she needs a nap and a diaper change anyway, so I stripped her down and let her sit on her potty. She sat down a couple of times but nothing happened. We left the bathroom, and I was going to put a diaper on her but then she wanted me to bring her potty out into the living room. Well, fine...what could it hurt?!? So, I set the potty on the floor and she sat down again. This time I told her she could have a sticker if she went pee-pee. Well, she looked up at me, twisted her face, sighed and grunted a bit and then I heard a little tinkle tinkle. You would have thought I had won the lottery or something, I was so excited. I think I even scared her a bit. So, I calmed down and clapped for her and told her good job and went and got her some stickers. After she got her stickers, she looked in the potty and looked back at me with a very proud expression and pointed and said pee-pee!! What a big girl!! We waited till Daddy came home and showed him her very big accomplishment too. I was a bit disappointed that Andrew wasn't there to see her do this, especially since I didn't know if it was a fluke, or if it was the start of something bigger. Well, after her nap she relieved me of my disappointment because she went pee-pee on her potty again! Twice in one day! I guess we are onto the next stage of toddler hood....potty training!!!!

This should be quite an adventure, and I by no means have a distorted sense that its going to be an easy, quick, or painless process. I know this is a part of growing up and while I am absolutely ecstatic at her accomplishment, I am a little sad too....my baby girl is no longer a baby. She is taking steps at becoming more independent everyday. She is growing and learning and teaching me in the process. I have to remember to slow down a little bit and enjoy this all while it lasts because before I know it, this too will be a distant memory!!

Watch the Video!


Here is Abby showing Daddy the pee-pee in her potty after she went for the first time. Notice the "reward" sticker on her hand.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow--that is awesome! She is so young to get that concept--what a smart girl! Maybe she can teach Tristan :)

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com