Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Birthday William!

Here are some more pictures from the day William was born and the story of how he came into this world!  I ended up having a scheduled induction for January 4th due to some high blood pressure issues late in my pregnancy.  It was a weird feeling knowing exactly when your child would be coming into the world and the days leading up to the induction were filled with anticipation, lack of sleep and a bit of nervousness.  One of the positive things about having a scheduled delivery is that it provides the opportunity to plan and be prepared.  Susan was able to fly in early and be here to take care of the girls while Andrew and I were at the hospital.  Knowing the girls were in such good hands while we were gone relieved a lot of stress and Andrew and I were able to focus on the baby!  

Anyway, after a night of very little sleep Andrew and I woke up very early and were at the hospital by 7am.  I got checked in and settled into our room.  At about 8 or 8:30 they finally started the hellish drug aka pitocin and shortly after the contractions started.  I was able to get up and walk the halls which was a big relief because I was not allowed to do that when I had Olivia and walking around really helped pass the time and seemed to help with the pain as well.  After hours of increasing the pitocin but no real pattern to my contractions, they finally decided to break my water at about 2pm.  That is when the real fun started.  About 15 minutes later my contractions intensified.  Since I waited too long with Olivia to ask for my epidural I decided that I was headed in the direction of wanting one so I didn't waste any time and asked for the drugs.    I got all set up with the epidural, the anesthesiologist administered the test dose and then told me as soon as I got comfortable he would start the medicine.  Well, I don't know what it is about the position I have to be in to get the epidural but it makes my labor progress big time and I went from 5 cm to 10 in that time.  I told the doctor I was far from comfortable and I that I thought I needed to push.  Sure enough, they checked me and William was ready to meet us!  They called for the mid-wife and while we were waiting for her to get there (probably 5-10 minutes) but it felt like forever the nurses were telling me NOT to push and to just breath through the contractions and the overwhelming need to push.....ha!!!  Finally, the midwife arrived and after about 12 minutes of pushing William was born!  

At home getting ready to leave for the hospital

At the hospital, before changing into the lovely hospital gown!

Still feeling good.  Looking at our "name" book and trying to decided what we would call our little fella!

This is our record of when we finally decided on a name for our guy. 
We even had the nurse initial it as a witness so we couldn't change our minds!

Mommy and Daddy waiting to meet little William!

And the smile is gone....he was born about 20 minutes after this picture was taken!

All the pain was worth it!!! 

The smile is back...10 minutes after he was born. 

William Reagan Vrabec
8.03 LBS 20 inches born at 3:47pm

Abby meeting William for the first time

Some snuggles for Mommy from Abby

Enjoying my guy!

Proud Mommy and Daddy

Look at our new brother!  He is in there somewhere!


Ross and Jill's Blog said...

I love that picture of him with the stethoscope on him, because he looks like he's looking up and smiling, like, hey, no big deal that I just entered the world!

The pictures of Abby and Olivia are so cute with him too.
Sweet family:)

The Scofields said...

These are so sweet! I probably shouldn't have looked at these right now...We are about to leave to go get Jonathan's vasectomy....and this is making me have 2nd, 3rd, 4th thoughts!

Blogger Templates by